The 2010 Year in Review: Stereotype of a Black Male Misunderstood

I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray


But when I woke up this morning, I didn't know it would be your judgment day

Thursday you were a phone call, Friday a question, by Saturday you were the reason behind a fistful of tears

And right now I'm wondering why you're no longer here

No facts reported, no word on the street

Just the result of what happens when misfortune and dreams meet

You grew up too fast, lived too hard and now you're gone too soon

But they say God makes no mistakes, so this is his Will I'm too assume

So I'll deal with the loss, deal with the pain and try to avoid the guilt and blame

I wasn't trying to change you, I just wanted to give you some game

But you were always gonna be you

So real, so true, but that's what bosses do

Indeed you were rare, with a heart as pure as water

A mind that knew no borders

I'm gonna miss your philosophy

Gonna miss your honesty

Gonna miss the way you made everyone laugh

I'm gonna miss the future you'll never have

I’m gonna miss watching you being a man around the ladies

Saw the article in the paper and thought, “Damn, one of my babies!”

A book with a false cover, everything wasn't what it seemed

They didn't know your intelligence, had no idea you were on the road to your dreams

Deferred, hope lost on the street, the muted wisher

Thursday you were a phone call, Friday a question, by Saturday your name floated through the air like a whisper

And I prayed that God spared your soul on Sunday…

I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it went astray.

Leave a respond