The 2010 Year in Review: Your Mama and My Mama Want Some Grandbabies

Uhhh no! This is a conversation that I really don’t like to have, but I understand that at my age (31), the women I interact with are really at the point when they are ready to stop pressing snooze on their biological clocks and have some babies. That’s all well and good if you’re married; you and husband are secure and ready to get to work. However, it’s a big problem if we’re having this conversation before you even learn how to pronounce my name. For the record, it’s Al-Lateef (L-La-Teef). Now that we’ve gotten that straightened out, I’m not interested in having kids…at least not today. Understand that my desire to have children is attached to the same yearning I have for a woman to spend the rest of my life with, no big deal, but if it happens, that’s gravy.


The most common argument when the topic comes up is that I’m getting old. Didn’t Lou Rawls father a child at like 68? My boys will swim like Michael Phelps, barring illness, as long as my heart pumps. On the other hand, I know you feel like you have an expiration date on your forehead, but slow down baby. Life isn’t going anywhere, take your time and get to know a brother before you lay down with him. You really gotta be careful; too many women are getting out of bed with baby in arms…alone. It is really my hope to be a father and a parent, not some bitter chick’s baby father or even worse, That Nigga!

Maybe that’s the last ounce of tradition left in my soul, but having a child is a step that I would have to take a long, hard look at myself before taking. I see the results of bad decisions (not the babies) all too often and it’s just not something I choose to take lightly. I am the product of a single-mother, so I know the struggle you moms go through, I’m just not willing to be part of the equation.

The newest argument is, “I know your mother wants to be a grandmother.” Stop right there, my mom hasn’t even touched 50 yet, I don’t think she’s ready to be a grandmother yet. Aside from that, she’s very supportive and whatever I decide to do with my life, she’s gonna support and will never pressure me to do anything that I feel I’m not ready for. Give me some time, 40 isn’t that far away ;)

Sorry, you can cross me off your list, but I don’t think Gary Coleman has babies yet…

Leave a respond