I Want to Come Back as a Song

I was just thinking that when I die, I want to come back as a song. Not just any song though, the kind of song that endures and lasts generations, the type of song that when it begins a grandmother and her grandchild will both smile in recognition of its beauty. I want to come back as a song whose melody is so beautiful that you can't get it out of your head for days. When the sun is fighting for its place in the sky, I want to be that song people sing as they're preparing to face the day and return when the moon wishes the world goodnight.

I want to be "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay", "Reasons", "Respect", classic. Or maybe, "My Girl", "Before I Let Go" or "Superstition", timeless. How about "The Message", "King of Rock" or "Straight Outta Compton", game-changing. I want to be like "Billie Jean" or "Control", electrifying. I want to have meaning like "People Get Ready" or "What's Going On?” I want to tell tales of love like when Minnie Riperton sang "Loving You", show my frustration like "If You're Think You're Lonely Now" and even share my heartbreak like "Ain't no Sunshine". How about a song without words that everyone knows, like the "Theme from Sanford & Son" or a song performed so beautifully that it gives you goosebumps, like Luther singing "A House is Not a Home".

When I die, I want to come back as a song, sung by millions, but loved for reasons specific to the individual. A song that when the sun fights for its place in the sky, it reminds people of the possibilities and as the moon says goodnight, restores hope. I want to be a song that knows no space and time, that's it...I want to be "A Song for You", yeah, a song for you.

Leave a respond