Freedom Writer


It's like I'm fighting for freedom/Writing for freedom
Common "1-9-9-9"

When folks ask about my tattoos, the one in question is usually the most visible. The word "freedom" is etched down my right forearm in plain view for the world to see and for me to remember. Why do you have freedom on your arm they ask? The answer to me is simple; freedom is the ultimate end for any struggle, the goal for all I do in life. Freedom of speech, the ability to think freely, the freedom of want and fear, the freedom of needing anything beyond my reach, that's what I'm after.

Five years ago I sat at my desk and composed an e-mail purging myself of my mind's contents and ended it by asking, does that make me crazy, which doubled as the subject. From that e-mail, I got the idea to create The World According to Teef, which gives me the space and outlet to reengage with the freedom I sought when I decided to get the tattoo. It is here where I can express myself without a thought of censorship or conforming, the space to think freely and beyond what may be considered normally to some. It is in these paragraphs where my imagination can stretch beyond the restraints of a 9 to 5 day and into the open minds of those who choose to read them and to those close-minded individual who stumble across a post, it is you that are my intended target.

Each time I sit at the computer or open one my notebooks, freedom is right there to serve as a reminder of why I am writing. When I begin to doubt whether I should say this or if someone will be offended while reading, I look down and there's my answer…who gives a damn?!? My first steps to freedom have been unlocking my mind and capturing those thoughts via the written word without consideration for political correctness, the status quo or the feelings of sensitive ass thugs (yall all need hugs!).

It is the freedom that I seek and the freedom that I possess, that allows me to think beyond my day-to-day experience in search of something more, the mental autonomy required to dream, chase those dreams and live within those dreams. My pursuit of happiness doesn't involve millions (would be nice), fame (I'd kick a paparazzi ass) or power (I'm not built for that), I simply want the freedom to share my thoughts with people and maybe make a few coins in the process. I may be just a foolish dreamer, but I don't care...

Leave a respond