I’m Disappointed in America: Terry Crews

Last time I was disappointed in his BET reality show, next month I'll be disappointed in that God-awful TBS show, but today I'm disappointed in his Old Spice commercials and to a larger extent, him. These commercials are not a good look for Mr. Crews or Black men in general. The shucking & jiving to sell deodorant is beyond my comprehension, but I don't have mouths to feed.

However, I do like to believe that I have a little more pride than to sell my soul for a check and give the world an image of a Black man as disturbing as a crackhead in a Viking helmet. Once again, this is the level we've descended when roles are scarce and you have to make a living, but damn, there's got to be a better way than cooning!

1 comment

Anonymous 3:09 AM

If you've ever watched any interviews with Terry Crews, he doesn't do it for the money, he likes being the "intimidating and funny guy". He talks on Conan how he liked playing that role in "White Chicks", "The Boondocks", and various other roles. Old Spice has always had a funny/dramatic appeal to their commercials; if you ask me, Terry Crews made THEM more popular. I don't think he was doing it put food on the table.