Back in the Days on the Boulevard of Linden...


At 11 years old I saw a video that changed the way I looked at music, and by extension, the way I looked at life. The video had a long name and was from an album with an even longer title, by a group with a long (and weird at the time) name. The song, “I Left My Wallet in El Segundo” from People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, the debut album by A Tribe Called Quest. Somewhere in New York City, that same video, that same album, that same group had a similar effect on actor-turned-director Michael Rapaport. The impact A Tribe Called Quest had on Rapaport is felt throughout his directorial debut, “Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest,” which made its Tribeca Film Festival premiere in late April.

Read the rest on Soul Train

Leave a respond