#2 Donny Hathaway - A Song for You


I can barely make it through this song without tearing up. There are a million different versions by a million different people, but the only one that matters is Donny Hathaway. The plea in his voice, the vulnerability he shows makes this song mean so many things to so many different people. It’s a song of love and loss; it’s a declaration, a vow, a man begging to be the only one, it’s everything you need it to be when you need it.

In my case, it’s a song I listen to repeatedly when I’m feeling low and want to stay there for a little while. Every once in a while I have to feel pain and this song allows me to ache all over. I have a live version that makes the hair on my arms stand still, simply breathtaking. Donny Hathaway was a man trapped by his own genius, gone far before he was able to escape and share more of his soul with the world.

 

But we’re alone now and I’m singing this song for you

Leave a respond