Fighting Words...

Note* It's funny that I wrote this prior to Tyler Perry's press release in which he told Spike Lee to "go straight to hell" and he's a Christian? It seems that not only his acolytes believe that he's beyond criticism, but the 300 million dollar man is drinking his own kool-aid. I guess if people laugh and it makes money, it's good enough in his book, regardless of how poor the quality of the movie. But your church is taking a bus load to see it on Good Friday...
Take me to see Madea’s Big Happy Family
I told yall last year (read: "The Line") that’s the defining moment in many relationships and here we are facing another crossroads, do I or do I not take her to see this “Madea” bullshit! The answer is simple, hell to the naw! However, I know many of you are going to fall prey to your lady, the woman you want to be your lady or homegirl you’re trying to GTD. I pity you fools, show a little spine and tell her that you don’t want to see that crap. It is not like this is going to be the defining moment in your relationship, she is not going to kick you to curb if you don’t want to see a Tyler Perry movie and if she does…you don’t need her anyway, she probably can’t read too well.

I make light of Tyler Perry’s films all of the time, partly because they’re horrible and the other part is because of what they’ve come to stand for. His hack jobs have become the standard of contemporary Black film, cashing out on opening weekend and placing him in a position of being beyond reproach, right behind Jesus, and Barack Obama, slightly ahead of Martin Luther the king. You and you, your mama and your cousins too, swear by these films, ignoring every stereotype you point out in other films, completely disregarding how shoddy the texture of the films and the static in the script, but I’m the hater.

I’ll wear that, I’ll gladly be a hater of poorly produced farces of film, I’ll be a hater of what I consider to be new millennium blaxplotation, I’ll be a hater of his onscreen flirtation with lightskinned men and flimsy definition of spiritual relationships. I guess raising my standards has made me a hater…nah, it’s made me Teef. Don’t waste your time telling me how you feel.

Check out previous Tyler Perry criticisms…






Leave a respond