Bring Me Flowers



I always hear people always say: Don’t bring me flowers when I’m dead, bring me flowers while I’m living.

Well………I don’t want mine now

During my lifetime I haven’t been given much, but the things that were given, were usually given for the wrong reasons…..

Huge balloons.... to make up for the time that was spent away

Necklaces… because you had to work on holidays

Flowers… because we had an argument

and cards filled with empty words that fit together like puzzles….

I was conditioned...... a long time ago....

The objects that society wants me to long for and love.... actually mean “I messed up” or “I’m not going to be there”…..

They don’t bring me the satisfaction that most people assume they will....the actually cause an opposite reaction.

They make me uneasy….almost nervous.

So.....yes....when I walk in the mall and see a stand full of pink and red madness…..it makes my stomach turn….

and yes…I would prefer the regular glazed donut over the pink, white, and red sprinkled heart shaped one….

No… I don’t need boxes of candy….because you think I’m sweet…or because you have been mean

AND I’m sorry….....but I am too old to receive a teddy bear as a gift....I’ll just end up giving them to my daughter.

Wait.…there's one more thing….

I would appreciate it if people would stop giving me the look of "pity laced with death" .... when they ask me what my plans are…… and my response is nothing.

I have plans...but they are none of your business....

No...I’m not bitter and no... I am not hard to please....

I’m just not easily fooled…..anymore…

and I make no apologies for that.

It’s simple.

If your actions line up with your words…..you got me...

ANY day of the year….not just on Valentines Day.

Like I said before...don’t bring me flowers.

I would rather plant the seeds.

YOU can bring some water….

and WE can watch them grow....

Together.

About Jillian Robinson
The 20-something mother is a photographer, music lover, part-time writer and in the closet painter. She bares her soul through her art over at http://undressingmysoul.wordpress.com/. Follow her on Twitter @aJILLionreasons

Leave a respond