This Can’t Be Right, There’s Gotta Be More…

I had something prepared for today, but that will have to wait, maybe later today or some time in the coming days. Sometimes you just have to go with what moves you in a certain direction. I had a fairly quiet evening yesterday; I had dinner, lounged on the couch, watched "Kill Bill Vol.1", took a bath and then fell asleep around 10:30. At lose to 11, I got a call from a colleague friend, and he told me that his wife had lost her battle with cancer. A battle that had lasted only 7 or 8 months. He went on to tell me about another friend who lost his father earlier in the day, a former Science teacher at Plainfield High. Earlier that afternoon, was told someone I had known for 20 years, graduated high school with and lived next door to for a few years was found murdered. Death really comes in threes.

At that moment I realized just how small the world is. How everything going on right now is so minute to these families. The War, the election, a recession, gas prices. None of it compares to the pain their feeling right now. I'm pretty sure they are questioning God's logic right now, wondering why them, how could he take their loved ones. Those questions will never be answered.

I heard the tears in my friend's voice as he told me how he was trying to explain to his two young children through dinosaur books that their mother had gone to be with God. I heard the anguish when he asked me what he was going to do without his wife. I fought back tears as all I could come up with was, "You're going to live, you're going to be strong and raise those babies." How do you explain to a four-year old and a two-year old that they will never see their mother again? We talked for twenty minutes and some of that pain turned into laughs, but I could barely crack a smile.

I thought about how these three families are trying to cope today with the loss of a loved one, thought about everyone across the world dealing with the same pressure and it all seemed so simple, none of this really matters, the only thing that's real in your life is love. I know its Hump Day and I may have dropped the spirits of a few of you today, I'm sorry, but it wouldn't have been real if I didn't speak what was on my heart today.

Leave a respond