Who Stole The Soul?

You know I'll always be around come Hump Day. I sat down Monday, wrote a piece called "The Colorless Negro" mostly talking about Tiger Woods' resistance to speak out when racially insensitive comments are directed towards him, Michael Jordan's insistance on selling $230 sneakers, Bob Johnson's persistance that he is a buisnessman before a black man even touched on some old Oprah comments about her exsistence in the fabric of Middle (White) America. But I scrapped it, guess it just wasn't the day.

However, it is time for me to speak on something that has been bothering me for the better part of a year though. What happened to Soul Music? John Legend made an album of elevator music, Alicia Keys' album is full of doctor's office music, Ne-Yo went retro-80's for most of his album and Beyonce danced through her entire album! I know record sales are down and all, but damn, do we have to be subjected to a watered down project by our favorites?

And I don't want to hear that fake, reggae "No One" by Alicia Keys is supposed to be good music! I know someone is going to say Mary J. Blige keeps it soulful, but be honest, Mary has been hit and miss since she fell in love and got happy. I need bitter Mary, the I need a drink Mary, I need K-Ci don't love me Mary! Keyshia Cole is hitting the mark though, "I remember when I walked out", "I remember when I gave up!", I know the ladies feel that part, because many of you remember that point in certain relationships. Right around the time TT saw Tyrone at the movies with that redboned girl.

But when was the last time you felt a song, the last time a song spoke directly to you, isn't that what music is supposed to do? Speak directly to your soul? Isn't that how we connect to the songs we love, because the passion of the singer made you feel as though you wrote the song yourself?

Leave a respond