Crush On You (An Ode to Lil’ Kim)

Dear Lil' Kim,


I have been a fan of yours since I first heard you say "I used to pack Macs in Cadillacs, now I pimp Gats in Ac's, watch my niggas backs..." You went on to spit some rhymes that a woman had no business spitting and projected an image of an oversexed (or undersexed) down ass chick who would do whatever it took to hold her man down; set dudes up, kill, transport drugs on the Greyhound, whatever! At 15, 16 years old I was instantly attracted to you, blame it on the hormones or the rain!


When you finally got ready to launch your own album we got the single "No Time" and it sounded fresh, the female voice had changed in hip-hop. The new independent woman had emerged, with a dirty mouth, a gun and thong! Foxy Brown came out around the same time and was on the same tip, though she was younger than me at the time, it didn't matter, sex sells right? I guess it does, because Hardcore went platinum and you were the (female) voice of hip-hop.

Furthermore, you became a voice and image for young Black females in America to aspire to, bad move! You had little Black girls talking, buying and boosting designer clothes that they couldn't even pronounce. Hell, you couldn't even pronounce many of them! I blame that on their mamas!
Your promo poster for Hardcore became an instant classic, it was plastered on nearly every wall in my dorm and I can imagine in bedrooms and cells all across the country. That poster defined who you were at the time, raunchy, sexy, with just a hint of class and seduction. You accomplished what you set out to do; you shocked people, got the album promotion, and furthered your image as a sex symbol, by keeping eyes transfixed to your crotch!

Then Biggie was murdered and you were left without your mentor and lover. I know the pain was unbearable, but Baby we've got to move on, Puff did. But you are seemingly stuck in morning and we're suffering along with you, albeit in a very different way.

Yet, it wasn't enough; you were revered all through the hood by men & women alike, respected on the mic and slowly making your way to mainstream fashionista. I suppose you never felt good about yourself, because you slowly began a transformation. Your breasts were enhanced and teeth were shaved by the time you released The Notorious K.I.M. in 2000 and more changes were to come.

Your provocation was stepped up to another level; Diana Ross groped you on the MTV Awards, you began spilling out of your clothes at every chance and the lyrics got even more sexual, but the records kept selling. I blame that on the buying public!

But like Kanye says, "It all falls down" and it sure did with you. At the height of your celebrity, you got a nose job then found yourself in the middle of a shootout, because of your beef with Foxy Brown. I blame that on them niggas!

But Kim, they had videotapes, you had no business sitting in that courthouse and lying to that Judge! You stood up for dudes who were protecting you and you thought in turn they would stand up for you again. However, some people sit down before Johnny Law and that's what your people did. You were left holding a bag you shouldn't have ever had to carry in the first place and ended up going to jail for a year. I blame that on the streets (Stop snitching)!


Two more albums, a reality show on BET, a year in prison and I'm still a fan. Well---I'm handing in my Lil' Kim Fan Club Membership Card today. You have gone way overboard with the plastic surgery in your quest to be a white woman. There's just not room in our community for two stars transforming into white women before our eyes, Michael Jackson was enough! The continuous nose jobs, the lip injections, skin bleaching (?) have gone overboard.

I don't even know who you are anymore; I seriously doubt that you even know anymore. Maybe that's the problem, you're identity has always been a problem with you, under the control for others so long and self-esteem that left you uncomfortable in your own skin, coupled with a Eurocentric view of beauty can wreck havoc on a woman and leave her looking like…

I blame that on Oprah!

Leave a respond