A View from the Couch: Snow Day

I just wanted to go back to sleep. I woke up at 6:00 am to shovel my lady out so she can get to work early and then I plopped down on the couch to watch the news, SportsCenter, “House” and hopefully fall asleep for a few hours. But a constant stream of phone calls, two great episodes of “House”, a visit from the Big Homie and it was nearly 2 before I took it down. I searched the On Demand archives and decided that “Porky’s 2” would be the movie that played in the background while I slept, but sleep was still nearly two hours away.

The sound of laughter and fun was coming through the windows to the wall and I couldn’t get comfortable enough to take a nap. Twenty minutes, thirty minutes, nothing. The giggles persisted and it was not getting irritating. I pulled myself from the couch to peek out the window to see a man and his son, no more than four or five, playing in the snow. Actually, they were doing more than playing, they were having a ball! I watched through the blinds for about five minutes as they wrestled in the snow, threw it on one another, made snowballs that fell apart in their hands, but mostly they just enjoyed their father and son time together.

I admired the scene with a bit of jealousy, because moments like those never existed in my childhood and there’s a 99.9% chance I’ll never have that type of moment in the near future. It was a moment out of a commercial, beautiful, frozen into my memory...but at that very moment, I just wanted them to shut up so I could sleep!

Leave a respond