Letter #11: The Perfect Love







Dear Grandma & Granddad,

Happy Anniversary!

It’s been so long since I’ve talked to you guys, so long since I’ve heard you laugh, and seen your smiles that when I saw today’s date, I instantly went into a funk. I’ve had so much to smile for lately, that when I began thinking of the two of you today, I instantly became sad that you’re not around to be a part of it all. I’m doing well, I’m doing pretty much everything I’ve always wanted to do with my life now and save for a hiccup or two with a stingy heart, I can’t complain.

I found someone and I’m gonna marry her soon. You guys would love her, because I love her. She doesn’t eat pork, but Granddad she’ll eat your BBQ chicken and I can’t have your famous ribs anymore. Grandma you’ll be happy to know that I’ve started going back to church, really going to church and I’m enjoying it too. Granddad, the Mets aren’t getting any better. I’ve been to Plainfield a few times in the last month, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to ride past 1051, I guess the memories are too fresh. It’s weird knowing that I can’t go there just to sit with you guys for a few minutes like I used to.

Looks like my mom is going to be in Jersey for a while, you know that makes me happy. Grandma remember how I used to try to wait up all night for her to come home when she went away to college and Granddad used to carry me to bed when he came in from his card games? Having her close always makes me sleep better, also makes me feel better. You guys probably knew before us that Perry was gonna pass, we were all shocked, but I’m glad he found peace in his heart before it was his time. I know I have to do a better job of checking in on Aunt Nor now and I promise I will, she’s lost so much in such a short period of time. We all have, but we all deal differently and no way of coping is better than the next.

You know, I’m not sure if today is you’re 50th Anniversary or not. I was always told that you guys were married in 1961, but I was also told that you were born in 1931 Granddad and we found out after your death that was two years wrong. You were actually born in 1929, I guess a Bible or two was wrong. Either way, 50 years is a long time, another way for me to only wish I could be like the two of you...love and miss you both.

Your favorite grandchild,

Al-Lateef

1 comment

Drew-Shane 7:41 PM

Great post! This was too touching- shoutouts to Granny!