Well I Guess I Got My Swagger Back!

Yeah I know it's been about two weeks, I was on a little hiatus, but I'm back to ruin your mornings... again! Last week I was away attending the National Conference On Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) in Florida. This is a conference based on addressing diversity on our college campuses; opening dialogue about race, gender, class, and sexual orientation, held at The Whitest place in all the land...Disney World!

What better place to talk about the haves and the have nots, than a place where a McNugget meal cost $7?!? The conference had close to 2000 attendees, every state was represented besides Hawaii, Montana and West Virginia. Disney hasn't seen this many people of color since The Lion King premiered!

Despite the location, the conference provided great information and networking opportunities, but also served as a mini-vacation for many. Even though I was surrounded by people who actually saud "the N-word" in regular conversation. I don't mean they said Nigga, they said "the N-word" as a replacement. You know that trips me out, because I say it like it's one of my middle names, Al-Lateef Deveen Nigga...you know.

All work and no play...well I don't know about all of that, because I always manage to play hard. Even thought Disney tries to confine you to there compound, I managed to have a little fun. I had to travel to the ESPN Zone on another property just to watch Kobe and the Lakers do their thing, because there was nothing but Disney-owned stations in the resort I stayed. I was a frequent visitor of Downtown Disney, including catching a Jaheim concert at the House of Blues and there were two parties held as part of the conference agenda.

And boy did I party! There's a set of pictures that show my trajectory (or downward spiral, depending on your perspective) on Friday. I went from bright-eyed during the afternoon sessions to being the last man on the dance floor, towel draped over my head, shoulders slumped by 3am when the after-party ended. Too bad I announced the after-after party back at the resort I was staying pool area.

I finally landed back in my room at 9:30am with a completely dead cell phone, body sore because I abandoned my official two-step with a little twist in favor of moving like Rerun from What's Happening, my pristine white on white shell toes were beat to death, but it was all in the name of fun. Too bad I hit the ground running when I returned home! I'm just finding the time to collect my energy and thoughts to share with you.

I know there's a lot going on, Hillary's last ditch effort to inject sexism in the primaries, Barack won the nomination, Hillary refused to immediately concede, now should she be his running mate, Usher's got a new album, Sex & The City was released, the Lakers and Celtics are bringing '87 back, now if only people would start rapping like Big Daddy Kane and Rakim, because Lil' Wayne's new album is a few days away and I'm really disgusted by hip-hop in its current state. We're also gonna talk about these trifling behind prom pictures that have been making their rounds through inboxes for the last few weeks.




Leave a respond