...Thoughts on the Disaster in Haiti

I woke up this morning trying to reconcile my feelings or lack thereof about the earthquake in Haiti. It’s really hard for me to put into words just what I feel. I recognize the tragedy of the disaster, I’m cognizant of the state of the island pre-earthquake, and I just can’t form the emotions to be overwhelmed with grief and moved to action. I’ve been battling with myself for the last few hours over whether that makes me a bad person?

I recall how I felt when recent natural disasters have struck other countries. For instance, the tsunami in 2004 that struck Thailand and other Asian countries had no impact on me. Yet, I cried like a baby watching the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina and even donated my last $200 to the relief fund. I suppose that since the people directly impacted by this tragedy look like me, I should be able to search my heart for the compassion needed to empathize with Haiti and Haitians around the world.

The outpouring of support I’ve witnessed though is encouraging and proves that people still give a damn about something more than American Idol. Wyclef Jean immediately sprang into action to aid his native country, the Red Cross was on the job, Barack Obama pledged support from the United States, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie gave $1million to Doctors Without Borders and millions of people on Facebook and beyond are praying for the victims and their families. The least I can do is care right?

I’m sorry, I can be a little thick at times and it takes certain issues time to penetrate me into feeling or action, but by no means am I casually casting this disaster aside just another act of God. By now we all know how and where to lend support, please do so if so moved, Haiti needs you. My heart goes out to my friends, co-workers, students, colleagues and everyone of Haitian descent around the world.

Leave a respond