366 In Leap A Year

As we close down Black History Month and transition into Woman's History Month, I figured I had to set a few ground rules for myself. First, I'm going to do my best not to mention Paris Hilton or Britney Spears this month, their contributions have my abysmal! Next, I won't bad mouth Oprah this month. That is, unless she gives Pontiacs away to an audience full of white women again, speaks negative about hip-hop, gives Dr. Phil another TV show or starts hugging white women again (that is going to be tough!). Third, I won't say anything about Tyler Perry all month (it's the 29th!). Finally, the 80's flashbacks completed with Motown 25 today (wait for the book), so for three Fridays in March (I'm on vacation the 24th – 28th) I'm going to talk about the women who've inspired me the most, my mother and my two grandmothers (my aunts will be sprinkled in too).

I got an e-mail from The Beacon Theatre today promoting a new play called "The Greatest Love Story Ever Told" and it is a Chitlin' Circuit classic filled with Black television retreads. It stars Tatyana Ali and Uncle Phil, the Rev. and Thelma from Amen, and the dude from Sparks. I only said one name, but yall know who everyone is. The crazy thing is that it's scheduled for 8 shows in NYC, so they are expecting a rush.

On the flip side of that, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" hit Broadway last week starring Terence Howard, James Earl Jones and Phylicia Rashad, but I haven't heard that on Hot97. Maybe I'm always looking for something that ain't?

I was thinking the other day; you remember when there was a push for Colin Powell to run for President or Vice-President. Never mind his military record and service to America, people were always commenting on his oratory skills (Chris Rock parodied those sentiments in one of his stand-up specials), saying how well-spoken he was. When Barack first began his push, Joe Biden said he was 'articulate', amongst other things. If being articulate or well-spoken was a pre-requisite for a Black Man to be President of these United States, shouldn't James Earl Jones have be Presidents years ago?

Enjoy your weekend!

Leave a respond