Things Ain't What They Used To Be (The Ecology)

I have not gotten mail all week! How is that possible? Not a bill, a Shop-Rite circular or one of those little cards with a missing child! I remember the mailman that used to deliver my grandmother when I was coming up. I never knew his name, but I knew he would be there everyday by 1pm. He had a mail truck, a uniform (polyester shorts in the summer, a poncho when it rains) and the mail was there like clockwork. Fast-forward 20 years and my mailman drives a Cutlass Supreme, delivers mail in sweatpants and I get my mail at 5:30 (if it comes at all!).

Things ain't what they used to be!

Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey have made White people way too comfortable around Black folks. I was at a basketball game last night sitting with a friend with plenty of empty seats in my row, the ones below and above me when I feel something brush up against my right arm. An older White dude sat directly behind me and had me sitting like he was going to braid my hair! I immediately moved and told him that wasn't very heterosexual of him, I don't even sit next to my daddy at the movies, how am I going to sit between another man's legs?

Makes me holler, throw up both my hands!

With Black History Month coming to a close, I've been really thinking about how it will be honored for years to come. I mean, we're 40 years removed from the Civil Rights Movement and already at a point where a few generations have no relationship with that point in history. Black History Month may regress to being Black History Week or Afternoon. At the rate we're going, it may be Black History Hour! I can see the programs now, "...then were slaves, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Michael Jackson used to be Black, Barack Obama was elected President on November 4th, 2008 (assassinated on the 5th) and 50 Cent got rich (may have died tryin').

Way they do my life!

Leave a respond