Back In The Days When I Was Young...

You know, back when 'Summer' actually meant something! Summer stood for freedom back. No school, just a few chores and the ability to run wild (controlled of course). Shoot I would get up and head outside around noon, by then the entire neighborhood would be out, we'd play kickball, basketball or football (some days all three), ride our bikes and just shoot the breeze. At some point nearly everyday we'd end up in the pool at my grandparents house.

Then, we would take a break to go eat dinner and come back out and I'll hang until my mom came to pick me up or if I was staying at my grandmother's late night---10 o'clock back then! We'd repeat the same cycle everyday. It never seemed like it rained back then.

I'm not a kid anymore...

Now the highlight of Summer is the 4th of July! It seems like that's all everyone is looking forward to, or the occasional family reunion, wedding or vacation. it's all about bills and work, working to pay those bills. What happened?

The year 94/95 my crew and I were in Plainfield High...

All we did was play basketball all day and night! I'm talking close to 15 hours a day! In the hot sun with gallons of .99 fruit punch so not to get dehydrated! We'd break for dinner with the family as always and be out playing late night basketball at Madison Ave. basketball courts until the wee hours of the morning!

Some days I sit and wish I was a kid again...

I woke up this morning wanting to go outside to wait for Toby and Cory to come out so we could talk about nothing, laugh about everything and not have a care in the world, then do the same thing tomorrow!

Most of the old crew gathered about two weeks ago and for those hours it all seemed so simple; Yeah, for the most part we all gained weight and looked like some sort of Cooley High reunion! It had been a long time since we've all been together and there were a few of the fellas in other parts of the country that were missing and one in heaven, but me and my brothers were there together, like it was 1993! For that moment in time, we had our moments in time, laughing like we never parted and it felt good like Peaches and Herb.

I guess I can be a kid again in my mind...

Leave a respond