Lucky by Paunice Savage


MOTHER’S Day is usually kind of weird for me. Yes, I am very lucky, fortunate and blessed to still have my beautiful, intelligent, elegant sweet Mother....My husband and many others are not. I can't help but to feel sorrow for those having to suffer an entire day of the world celebrating the blessing of having a Mom.

Then, I usually segue into my own pity-party. I cannot have children. Yes, I have a 23 year old stepson, I love with all. my. heart. I always wanted to experience the pregnancy.... the mixing & blending of the DNAs.... delivery. My lips ..his eyes ...his feet ...my nose. You know, that unique mixing of enzymes, blood & personalities. The mini-me...us.

I wonder why I wasn't meant to experience Motherhood *THAT* way. All this during a cup of coffee.

While I have come to reason with the reality of my situation, every now and then, on Mother’s Day, I feel a kind of weird, jealous and envious of *THAT* way Mothers.

And just like that. I snap out of it! My Mother taught me to embrace what is....and that is: I am very lucky, fortunate and blessed to still have my beautiful, intelligent, elegant sweet Mother. I have a smart, nice, cool stepson that I love with all. my. heart. I did have the honor of having a WONDERFUL relationship with my Mother-in-law before she died. The pride and pleasure I have in being an aunt to my niece & nephews.

Maybe it’s weird to feel weird....but it’s brief.... I'm cool.

Happy MOTHERS DAY Mommy!

RIP Bammy, GrandMother (1990)

RIP Mother Equina (1994)

RIP Aunt Sonja (1998)

About Paunice SavageSometimes she rhymes slow, sometimes she rhymes quick, but she always rhymes. Paunice Savage is a Detroit representer, but her heart is in New York City and her mind is all over the social map. Follow her on Twitter (@negroapple)

Leave a respond