I'm Disappointed in America: The Death of Osama bin Laden


The cheers and chants of “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!” were heard outside of the White House, in Times Square, at Ground Zero, in the 9th inning of the Phillies/Mets game and in various homes, bars and anywhere else people congregated Sunday night as the news of Osama bin Laden’s death spread around the world. It was a moment nearly ten years in the making; since those towers went down he’s been Public Enemy #1, the face of terrorism and here was Barack Obama announcing that he was dead. Not captured, killed.

That sent a thrill through those directly affected by the man who led the organization that not only attacked America on September 11th, but also carried out other terrorist acts around the world over the last 20 years. However, I am still troubled by the response, still skeptical of what’s next. The death of bin Laden doesn’t guarantee the death of Al-Qaeda, it doesn’t mean the War on Terror is over, it hasn’t resulted in the troops coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq, where we’ve spent trillions of dollars and lost thousands of lives looking for Osama and his network. Yup, we’ve been fighting wars in two countries and the Navy Seals caught him slipping in a mansion in Pakistan probably watching the Heat game. I guess Pakistan has some explaining to do…

Now there’s a call for photos of a dead bin Laden to be released, people want proof of death and I’m not different. I want to see a few of the Seals flicked up with him, chucking up the deuce, like it’s a shoutout picture. I’m just saying, we were able to download Sadaam Hussein hanging, why not get a few shots of Osama dead? It will help to ease the cynicism of many and show that the job was actually done. While President Obama and crew ponder releasing the pictures and the body of the evil rests at sea, people around the world will continue to rejoice death and celebrate what they believe is the end of a terroristic reign.

I suppose that I’m relieved that he’s been taken out, I do live within his crosshairs, but I’m not partying or singing the anthem. As an American, I understand the fear he caused and the sentiment of knowing that he has been eliminated. But as a Black man, I was troubled by the hatred that flowed from the celebrations of his death…especially when the President’s skin is similar to mine.

Leave a respond