Yeah, I Remember

Because they will never allow us to forget! They crammed 9/11 coverage down our throats yesterday! Everywhere you looked, there it was, even on HBO & Showtime they had the movies going. See, but I never will forget and not only because they won't let me know.

I'll remember because I was four days removed from having my throat mangled when my step-mother called to tell me that my dad was near the World Trade Center that morning. I didn't understand because I was still sleep and under heavy medication, but between her trying to stay calm with panic in her voice I turned on the TV to see what happened.

For the next couple of hours we had no contact with him because cell phones were inoperable, but we finally got through, justas he was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. He got out of there and saved his own life that day, three days later he saved mine. So I'll never forget.

I'll also never forget because I just can't get those 263 years of servitude out of my mind! The 105 years of Jim Crow, the fire hose, the police dogs, the lynching, Martin Luther King Jr. being shot, first heroin, then crack being spread through the ghetto. I can't forget that can I? But they'll never let us forget because they constantly remind us and in four years when 9/11 is a national holiday and we have back to back four day work weeks, will we forget? How can I forget when we're reminded by James Byrd, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell & the Jena 6? See, it's hard to forget what time constantly replays over and over again!

Switching gears, the 50 Cent/Kanye West battle got started yesterday and won't end until the first week sales are released a week from today. How about, instead of focusing on the numbers, artists put better quality work out? I know 50 Cent is going to sell a ton of records, but the music is wack! He's a gangsta rapper with no gangsta! He's been making the same song over and over again. Say what you want about Kanye, he's not afraid to make himself vulnerable through the music or explore subject matter that no one else is touching. Check out Kanye's new video here

Leave a respond