Change Will Come...Eventually!

I begin this standing in line to vote at 5:30 am! Standing in line to vote at 5:30am! I'm near the front of the line and the line is beginning to snake around the building. People are snapping pictures, they have brought their children and are just giddy! I guess we're getting that 40 acres and a mule today. Not me, I'm a little subdued, just here to do what I need to do, place my vote and wait. Wait, that's what were all gonna have to do. Wait to see the results, wait to see what That One actually does.

Forget it I'm jaded! I remember November 7, 2000. That feeling that my vote really didn't mean anything. I remember feeling that nothing had changed at all, somehow I was still 3/5 of a man. That day when electoral college became part of our everyday lexicon. People keep using the words, 'change' and 'hope'. Lauryn Hill said that change will come eventually. I believe that people are looking for instant change, instant gratification. After all, we do live in a microwave society. I see people twice my age voting for the first time, excited about being a part of history in the making.

Maybe I'm a cynic, I still believe that White folks are gonna wake up today and realize how close we are to having a quasi African-American being leader of the free world, well, at least the United States of America. After all, Obama's own grandmother checked out yesterday, probably because she couldn't stand to see a Black man as president! I'm ready for whatever happens over the next 20 hours or so. I'm also ready to hold whomever accountable for the next four years and even more ready for the calendar to get to January 19th to get W. out of office!

Guess I haven't caught the fever, or maybe I'm just not a politico and more concerned with how policies affect people who look like me as opposed to the politics behind them. After all, if the economy continues on its free fall and tax dollars aren't diverted to financial aid programs and higher education, not only am I out of a job, but millions of youngsters with nothing but BET and street dreams to aspire to will be left without that hope for a change! That doesn't scare you?

I just cast my ballot and maybe all of that has gone away. I actually felt a tinge of difference, maybe that's what people call hope? My step had an extra bounce, I read pride and envy in the faces of those still in line, the song I whistled while walking back home had a joyful melody to it. Have I caught the bug? Will I go through today with rose colored glasses on? Will I be one of those poor babies on the way to the Candy Lady? Sam Cooke said 'a change is gonna come', Lauryn said it will come eventually, I say be part of the change you want to see...

This message was paid for by Barack Obama for President!

Leave a respond