Can It Be I Stayed Away Too Long?

Over the last month, I've been a here for a little, there for a little. But, over the next few weeks I'll be here and there for a spell. I've been home long enough now to catch up on some rest, read some news, watch a little TV and read a couple of books. So I've got quite a bit to talk about...
Yesterday, about 300 women filed into Filene's Basement for an open casting call of "America's Next Top Model". Mostly teenagers, who ditched school all in an effort to be the next runway diva. Many without any style at all, some have never even been told that they were cute and others as skinny as Olive Oil. All with the the same dream, to be considered beautiful. Seems like Reality TV has restored hope in the hearts of many.

Speaking of Reality TV, I have a confession to make. I watched the entire season of "I Love New York". No, I wasn't breaking my neck to catch it on Monday nights, but at different times of the week, I would catch the reruns. I wasn't watching it for entertainment value, I was watching to see how far the boundaries of ignorance could really be pushed. I have never seen an episode of "Flavor of Love", but for some reason I was able to stomach this crap! New York, excuse me, Tiffany Pollard, was almost single-handedly able to destroy everything that women, women in general, black women in particular have fought for and against for years. Think about it, she empowered every stereotype ever conceived in the span of about 10 episodes. Reinforcing myths and lies while looking for love!

Sanjaya's still on "American Idol"! Seems like some people have took it upon themselves to destroy the top-rated show in the country. I can't blame them either, the entire system has to be revamped. You can't rely on Americans to make the correct decision, we're in year seven of the Bush Administration for crying out loud!

Beyonce's decided to take making videos and albums to a new level. Re-releasing the album with a few new songs, including four spanish remixes of "Irreplaceable". Now, I'm as big a Beyonce fan as anyone, but I don't want to hear "Oye"! The videos, cute idea, poor execution with a few. She totally butchered "Kitty Kat", but I love "Get Me Bodied" and "Flaws and All". But Walmart is dead wrong for selling the CD & DVD separately, you know I'm making my own copies.

Scary Spice dropped her baby on Eddie Murphy's birthday. Anna Nicole's baby still has no daddy! The Ray J. sex tape was horrible! Usher's getting married to an old hag who is pregnant with a baby that may not be his?

Last night, I saw "Radio Golf" August Wilson's latest and last play, it was a great story filled with moral dilemmas about racial ambiguity and I truly recommend that you check it out and really explore the context of the script. However, unlike my students who attended, please maintain proper theatre etiquette, don't go to the bathroom before intermission, don't talk and please don't pull out skittles in the middle of the performance! The cool part about last night was that I met Chris Meloni aka Eliott Stabler from Law & Order: SVU.

2 comments

wisdom25 11:01 PM

Nice entry...I was going through some old email and decided to pass by to leave a comment. So what's next?

wisdom25 11:01 PM

Oh...I only use my google account to communicate with my sisters so emailing to my hotmail is still fine.
peace