The Young & The Restless

Another monday, another sleepless Sunday night! By the time my sleep aid kicked in it was almost 3am, nevermind the fact that I took it after 10pm. I thought that I would be exhausted after spending all of Saturday with a dozen or so students trampling through the streets of New York.

That was pretty much the highlight of my weekend, I took a group of students on a tour of The Big City. We toured Ground Zero, Chinatown, The Village, The Empire State Building, had lunch at the 40/40 Club and then shopped until about 9pm. I had a ball and it seems as if they did to, because at 9am yesterday morning, I got my first "When are we going back?" texts.

Well Fall has officially arrived, what does that mean? It's time to pull out the jackets, light sweaters an put the open-toe shoes away. Seriously, if I see someone is flip-flops or some sort of tie up sandals, I may have a fit. By now, everyone should have rearranged their closets and put their summer best away. But what happens when the temperature hits 75 degrees and above? You wear a long sleeve shirt or something with a jackets; no need to go rummaging through your clothes pulling out your hottest backless piece.

The eggheads will call it global warming when we have an ususually warm Fall day. They will cite the Environmental Protection Agency's latest bulletin on the issue verbatim. However, as kids we called it something different. We called those days when we walked homefrom school sweating, dragging our sweatshirts or jackets behind us something else. We called it Indian Summer. What happened to Indian Summer? When did people get so smart and start changing the names on things we labeled as kids?

When did robbing the cradle become statutory rape? When did tattle-telling become snitching? When did VD get so many other names? When did the Duke of the school become a gang? When did black folks stop hanging pictures of Dr. King in the living room? Didn't you think he was a dead uncle as a kid? When did making 12 songs, 11 of them having guest features classify being an album? I remember using two cassette tapes to dub a Public Enemy album because it had 27 songs on it. When did getting credit in your daughter's name become fraud? When did selling out become job security?

In this world of flux, there's only one constant, Teef is always gonna be Teef! I've been the same since Tracey gave birth to me at 8:14pm on August 5th, 1978!

Leave a respond