80's Baby

I just can't do it like I used to it! I'm saying, it's hard to hang out and drink all night and then go to work the next morning, something has to give! This work thing has got to stop! I woke up this morning with a serious attitude, it seemed as if as soon as I went to sleep, it was time to wake up. After beginning to scramble to get the garbage together, I realized it was only Wednesday, which made it even worse.

Now, I've got my lips poked out thinking back to when I was a kid and I didn't feel like going to school, so I would concoct ways for me to come across as sick. My mother or grandmother knew I was faking, but I was a good kid, so I earned a day off or two. They'd try to entice me to go to school by threatening that I could not play Nintendo or go outside later, but that didn't matter, I had a fun world in my head and needed to go nowhere to go there.

It dawned on me this morning that I want those days back; not that I want to fake sick and skip work today (got 48 vacation days for that), but I want the 80's back! I'm such an 80's baby! I'm 80's like freezing kool-aid in a dixie cup and calling it a frozen cup! 80's like sitting in front of the TV the first Thursday of September to see the new introduction to "The Cosby Show". They don't even have intros to shows anymore, they just come on and the actor's names scrolls across the bottom. I'm 80's like the mysterious white van that kidnapped kids.

I'm so 80's, playing hide & go get it, but never getting it, because rubbing colors was where it was! I'm 80's like Shell Toes and Adidas Sweatsuits (which I still keep in the closet). 80's like Spike Lee Joints, but even more 80's than Mars Blackmon or shirts that said "The Black Man is God." I'm 80's like that jheri-curl my mama used to wear or colorful fishnet shirts matching your doo-rag. I'm 80's like the doo-rag actually being worn to hold your waves in place. I'm 80's like S-Curls and airbrushed pants on big booty girls. 80's like touch football and double dutch. When was the last time you rode through the hood and saw little girls jumping double dutch?

I'm 80's like pop-locking & the Asian girl on Soul Train. 80's like Michael doing the Moonwalk on Motown 25, 80's like "jamming on the 1!" 80's like Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky & Mike. 80's like L.T. & Magic, Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry. 80's like when Janet Jackson was still Penny or Charlene, before she took Control and became Ms. Jackson, before she flashed us at the Super Bowl, I'm talking when she was Cleo. 80's like Leroy from Fame!

80's like before call-waiting, when you got that annoying busy signal, before the World Wide Web, I'm talking 80's like the Apple IIe. 80's like VCR's costing $500, 80's like when you first got cable and the box had the little sliding ticker. 80's like doing diaramas of the Solar System, 80's like remembering when the Challenger crashed! 80's like the way things were before Crack!

I'm 80's like the Rapping Duke and Lodi Dodi, 80's like the Top 8 at 8 with Wendy Williams on KISS. 80's like when Martin Luther King Jr.'s became a holiday, 80's like Jesse Jackson running from President. 80's like not understanding why Nelson Mandela was in jail, but screaming "Abolish Aparteid" and not knowing what it was! I'm 80's like when they said AIDS came from a monkey it and was a homosexual disease. 80's like what's a homosexual, but why does Jermaine Stewart look like a woman?

I'm 80's like doing the Cabbage Patch and Roger Rabbit, far before Chicken Noodle Soup, I'm talking 80's like eating chicken noodle soup when you got sick. The 80's, when girls mysteriously went down south for a year and came back looking real healthy!
I'm 80's like Cabbage Patch Kids, not knowing how the rent got paid, not even caring, Billy Ocean and Gregory Abbott, Lou Gossett Jr. I'm 80's like "You told Harpo to beat me?!?", Eddie Murphy making us laugh in tight, leather suits, when the world knew that Whitney Houston was a lesbian and not a crackhead!

I'm 80's X-Clan, Public Enemy, BDP, The Juice Crew, M.C. Lyte, Ready For The World, The Deele, Whodini, Run-DMC, Ladies Love Cool James, Ice Cube with the curl, Heavy D before Trouble T-Roy died, Eric B. & Rakim, 3rd Bass and Big Daddy Kane.

Leave a respond