What We Talk About When We Talk About Love: When the Cat's Away...


I know cats that can’t wait for their wives to go out of town or simply have a night out, because this is their chance to run wild, cut up, break curfew or whatever the case may be. Not me. It’s true that my wife and I spend an enormous amount of time together, doing things we love, but neither of us had to sacrifice the identity we forged when we were single. In fact, we’ve maintained much of who we were before we began dating and that’s what helps to keep our bond so strong.

There are various times throughout the year when I travel for work or she’s away with her girls or handling family business that we are forced to spend apart; those are the worst days of the year for me. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like being away from my wife; I struggle to sleep and walk a hole in the carpet traveling up and down the stairs trying to busy myself in her absence. But there’s only so much you can do to pass the time you’re so used to spending with someone. When we discussed her going to Atlanta for the weekend, it seemed like a good idea because I was supposed to be away for work for most of the weekend, but once that was cancelled, I knew what I was in for.  

As a matter of fact: I’ve had buffalo wings, donuts, a couple glasses of vodka, been to the movies, wandered around Walmart, done laundry, left my socks in the middle of the floor, cleaned the fridge, washed dishes, messed the kitchen up, cleaned it and messed it up again, conducted interviews, played the lottery, researched vacations, read a book, started to clean my office, stopped, watched six DVDs, overslept for church, packed our bags for our trip to D.C. and slept on your side of the bed so I could smell the scent that gives me peace through the night.

Yeah, I’m missing my wife.

Martin learned it the hard way when Gina went away for work, but I’ve known it all along, I’m not missing anything being married. Furthermore, I don’t feel smothered by marriage, causing me to run wild as soon as I’m given a bit of air. That’s because there’s always space to be me, yet room for us to grow, together. With that said, I have about twelve hours until I pick her up from the airport, so I still have time to get my party on! Who am I kidding, my knees hurt!


Leave a respond